USE THE LAW TO CHANGE THE WORLD. EQUALITY NOW IS DEDICATED TO CREATING A MORE JUST WORLD WHERE WOMEN AND GIRLS HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS AS MEN AND BOYS. OUR INTERNATIONAL NETWORK OF LAWYERS, ACTIVISTS, AND SUPPORTERS HOLD GOVERNMENTS RESPONSIBLE FOR ENDING FEMALE GENITAL MUTILATION (FGM), LEGAL INEQUALITY, SEXUAL TRAFFICKING AND SEXUAL VIOLENCE.
Social change often begins with legal change and political will to enforce the law.
Since 1992, Equality Now has advanced women’s and girls’ rights by:
- Combining legal advocacy with strategic litigation (taking carefully-selected cases to court to change laws and set legal precedents)
- Influencing policy makers to strengthen human rights laws and mechanisms
- Holding governments accountable to international human rights law and standards
- Elevating local advocacy to regional and international levels
- Building partnerships with local activists, organizations, and coalitions that are most familiar with the challenges and solutions in their particular communities
- Inspiring the public and the media to take action against human rights abuses
SEX TOURISM FUELS THE DEMAND FOR SEX TRAFFICKING AND COMMERCIAL SEXUAL EXPLOITATION BY OFFERING MEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO TRAVEL– OFTEN FROM WESTERN COUNTRIES TO LOCATIONS IN THE GLOBAL SOUTH– AND BUY SEX FROM VULNERABLE WOMEN AND GIRLS.
Equality Now was one of the first human rights organizations to recognize the role sex tourism plays in trafficking, and to focus on shutting down sex tour operators.
We led a precedent-setting civil case in the United States on behalf of Brazilian girls who were sexually exploited by a US-based sex tour operator. With pro bono support from a law firm, we filed the first known civil action under the Trafficking Victims Protection Act. After four years, the case was settled and the funds have helped the girls’ begin to rebuild their lives. We continue to go after sex tour operators in an attempt to deter sex tourism and the exploitation of girls.
At Positiv Hub we take our reputation seriously. We do not manage third-party resources. Donors must relate directly to the organization that is published.
Positiv Hub does not support with grants and donations. It does not receive help from public funds. It is funded by foundations, individual philanthropists and corporate social responsibility.